Just because you have M.D. or D.O. after your name doesn’t mean you never make a mistake. Surgeons, like the rest of us, make errors when they are rushed, distracted, or upset.
Unfortunately, medical errors injure and kill patients every year. According to the Federal Agency for Health Care Research and Quality, as many as 1 out of every 25 hospital patients is injured by a medical mistake and 44,000 to 98,000 people die each year from medical errors.
Some examples of surgical errors include:
- Wrong-Site Surgery. Sometimes surgeons do the wrong surgery on the wrong patient.
- Unintended Injury to Another Organ or Body Part. For example, a patient who is having an orthopedic surgery should not wake up with a burn on his or her leg.
- Waking during surgery. According to The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), 1 to 2 people out of every 1,000 patients wake up.
- Retained Objects. Sometimes objects like sponges or lap pads get left in the body because nurses fail to give an accurate count to the surgeon.
- Patient Not Healthy Enough for Surgery. There can be errors in preoperative testing and preoperative clearance.
- Anesthesia Errors. There can be errors in the administration of anesthesia and/or post anesthesia care.
- Failure to Monitor. Sometimes doctors and nurses do not properly monitor a patient during or immediately following surgery.
A patient who is injured by medical negligence has a claim for money damages. While money can’t undo what has happened, it can help offset the financial and emotional costs associated with a medical error.
Not every surgical mishap gives rise to a viable medical malpractice or wrongful death claim. Some do. At Bode & Collins, P.L.C., we know the difference. If you think you may have a claim, call us at 480.355.5020 today. We are ready to help.
Why Choose Bode & Collins, P.L.C.?
At Bode & Collins, P.L.C. we treat our clients the way we would want to be treated and tailor our services to the individual legal and personal needs of the client.
When you hire Bode & Collins, P.L.C. to protect your rights, you get Chris Bode and Natalie Collins working on your case, not a junior lawyer who is just learning the ropes. Combined our attorneys have more than forty years of litigation experience and have recovered millions of dollars for their clients during that time.
Bode & Collins, P.L.C. serves clients all over Arizona, including people who live in Scottsdale, North Scottsdale, Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe, Mesa, Avondale, Cave Creek, Prescott, Flagstaff, Bullhead City, Kingman, and Tucson. We also work for people who were injured or killed in Arizona while visiting from other states or countries.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one because of a surgical error, call or contact us and see if we are the right legal team to help you. Initial consultations are free. If we take your case we will front all costs and work on a contingency fee, meaning that you won’t pay any attorneys’ fees unless and until there is a settlement or verdict in your favor.